The Banc de Sang i Teixits (Blood and Tissue Bank, BST) regards research as a strategic activity for providing services of the highest quality and safety, rapidly incorporating improvements in our field as they emerge, and working to devise new diagnostic and therapeutic tools.
We conduct independent research projects and work on others in cooperation with every centre pertaining to the Catalan Health Institute, with the majority of centres in the Network of Public-Access Hospitals and with Catalan universities, and we also pursue strategic alliances with research centres around the world.
Download the Scientific Research Report 2019
We have developed a new R&D Strategic Plan for 2017-2020. Download it in here (PDF).
At present, we are involved in 72 research and innovation projects at the BST. Within our organisation, 62 people dedicate part of their time to research.
The BST leads 4 RETOS projects in which it collaborates with IGTP, CMRB, Institut Josep Carreras, Hospital de la Fe and Center of Transfusions of the Valencian Community, with a total budget of almost 2,000,000€.
- The Project FACTOCEL: Expansion of the facilities of a cellular medicines factory for regenerative medicine with file number PLE2009-0092 has been funded with the national program of internationalization of R&D, subprogram of promotion of international scientific cooperation (FCCI) PLAN -E, TYPE: STEM CEL INFRA
- "Pericardial matrix with mesenchymal stem cells for the treatment of patients with infarcted myocardial tissue". This project is funded by the Ministry of Science Innovation and Universities and cofounded by the European Commission by the European Regional Development Fund File: SAF2017-84324-C2-2-R
- "TRANSPOSE: TRANSfusion and transplantation: PrOtection and SElection of donors" this project is funded by the European Commission. File: 738145
- "ID-VITRORED: Obtaining in vitro red blood cells from IPSCS of donors with selected erythrocyte phenotypes and optimized by genomic editing, as an alternative to the current red cell panels ", file: RTC-2017-6367-1, funded by the State Agency of Universities - Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities / FEDER Funds of the European Union with the main objective: To promote technological development, innovation and quality research.
- "iPS-PANIA: Allogeneic IPSC from homozygous SCU units for high prevalence haplotypes ", file: RTC-2017-6000-1, funded by the State Agency of Universities - Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities / FEDER Funds of the European Union with the objective Main: Promote technological development, innovation and quality research.
- "T-CELBANC: Creation of a national bank of specific T lymphocytes for immediate use in opportunistic post-transplant infections, "funded by the State Agency of Universities - Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities / FEDER Funds of the European Union with the main objective: To promote the development technology, innovation and quality research.
- "JOINT ACTION: FacilitatinG the Authorisation of Preparation Processes for blood, tissues and cells (GAPP)" funded by the European Commission. File: 785269
- "Approach to hereditary bleeding disorders of complex etiology by applying a common exome sequencing strategy" funded by the Institute of Health Carlos III. File: PI18/01492
- "Traslación de un producto de ingeniería tisular alogénico con MSC de gelatina de Wharton para el tratamiento de la osteonecrosis en pacientes oncológicos pediátricos" finançat per l'Institut de Salut Carlos III. Expedient: PI19/01788
- "Estudio clínico de seguridad, aleatorizado, doble ciego, de dos dosis y controlado con placebo en el tratamiento de la lesión medular incompleta a nivel cervical con WJ-MSC intratecal en infusiones múltiples" finançat per l'Institut de Salut Carlos III. Expedient: PI19/01680
By 2020 BST researchers published 59 articles in scientific journals that had an impact factor of 234. 50% of these publications are from the first quartile.
The BST has 3 patents granted in Spain, one granted in the United States, two granted by the European Patent Office and validated in several European countries and one granted in Mexico.